Wednesday, December 14, 2005

MacMedia News Article

Recently an article I wrote for my University Newspaper (MacMedia) was published.
Take a read, it's a light hearted look into the wish list of a geek.


TALK NERDY TO ME
- By Graham McCarthy.


MAC Media is an awesome newspaper. Every month great readers (like YOU!) submit wonderful stories, sometimes so hilarious I pee myself laughing, sometimes so shocking and disturbing that I have nightmares, but never NERDY.
Today, I change history by writing for all those geeks who never get to speak their mind (possibly because they are too engrossed in World of Warcraft, Lineage II, and all those other MMORPGs out there). Wanted or not, I shall do this for them!
As my first article and sticking to the Christmas theme, I have tabulated a “What a Nerd Needs for Christmas” list. I hope you enjoy.


WHAT A NERD NEEDS FOR CHRISTMAS (2005 edition)

Video iPod.
When I said “needs” I definitely meant “wants”. 30gigs of storage space (at least), and the ability to play music/movies as well as store photos has definitely gotten every tech junky drooling over this. It’s a great gift for that geek on your list and with a price tag of $379.00, you’ll have that geek indebted into fixing any computer problem for life!

Caffeinated Soap.
Caffeinated soap solves two major problems geeks face; Sleep deprivation and showering. You could definitely purchase one of those energy drinks (like Red Bull or Bawls) and they would give you the necessary energy to level up that Paladin, but it won’t get you clean, in fact it might add to the problem. 1 Bar $6.99 (USD).

Not an XBOX 360.
I say that with a heavy heart, I am an avid fan of new technology, especially one that makes The Master Chief look so damn sexy! But, a true geek would have a lot more fun tricking out his first gen Xbox or PS2. Gino’s mod Honda Civics, geeks mod game systems, this is our Fast and the Furious. A modded XBOX won’t graphically look like an XBOX 360, but it will perform all the same functions, additionally you can throw some flashy under lighting LED’s to totally impress the ladies. You can get one for about $100.00, but the memories to be had, priceless.

Binary Clock.

Personally, I’ve wanted one of these things for the past 3 years. It serves no functional purpose except make it even harder to read a clock. But if you are looking to impress other geeks in an epic “out-geek-a-thon” like I do, you’ll need to add one of these to your arsenal. The Binary clock sells for around $30 (USD).

Well, that’s all a geek really needs this holiday season. Anything else would be just going overboard. Happy holidays everyone!

4 Comments:

At 6:27 p.m., December 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All good and well, except the #1 thing on a geeks "need" list, a life;) haha.

But i concur with all your picks. Plus, WTG on being published!

 
At 1:15 a.m., December 16, 2005, Blogger Elizabeth said...

you know this means you have to write every month in the new year, right?
yeah you do!
with love,
your "desparate to have people write features articles" roomate.

 
At 1:19 a.m., December 16, 2005, Blogger Graham said...

Thanks guys!! I'll do my best to contribute monthly!

 
At 11:48 a.m., December 19, 2005, Blogger Graham said...

Thanks Meth!! I miss you man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home